May 28, 2008

Chinese around The World Unite Strongly

I usually don’t read the comments of New York Times articles. But I made an exception for Daniel Bell’s “China’s Class Divide”. I am pleased I did.

Daniel A. Bell is the author of “China’s New Confucianism: Politics and Everyday Life in a Changing Society.” He has been teaching political theory at Tsinghua University – one of the most prestigious universities in China – since 2004.

After the tragic Sichuan earthquake, hundreds of Tsinghua students lined up overnight at a Red Cross station to donate blood and supplies. Others went to the earthquake zone, more than 1,000 miles away, to distribute aid. Bell thinks the disaster perhaps can do some good by helping dispel a widespread myth that the new generation of Chinese students is materialistic and selfish.

Bell further discuss about the global obligation of China which I was curious about readers’ feedback. So, I checked the comments. I was specially touched by the following response which is also one of the Editors’ selections:

    It is truly natural that Chinese care about their compatriots in every critical situation. [They] help each other as much as [they] can. Chinese around the world are families. This is the Chinese values. Chinese consider being a Chinese as a glorious identification. They have a strong loyalty for their country. Whenever China faces difficulty, its people will unite quickly and strongly as a tough fist. I think this is very crucial for Chinese to conquer any big test facing them. Even during World War II fighting with invaders around the world, Chinese achieved full independence.

    Chinese won't fear challenges, no matter what will happen in the future. Chinese around the world will come together and support each other, help each other, always work together. Go China!


It was from Greg, China. I could not agree more. As for the Chinese global obligation, I am still debating with my friends. I will blog it in a later day.

No comments: