April 01, 2008

DiversityInc Lists 7 Things Never to Say to Asian-American Executives

Yoji Cole states on DiversityInc seven things one should never say to Asian-American executives. I believe the quotes listed could be offensive to Asian American in general, not just the executives.

Cole's list not only demonstrates the ignorance of American executives, it also proves that I am an Asian. How so? I had experienced all of them (except one) in my past career.

1) "You must be the IT person"
My response: No, I am in Marketing. But I am glad my technical expertise is higher than the average American.

2) "You aren't like them" or "You don't act very Asian."
My response: Because I am an American, just like you.

3) "Asian Americans are not risk takers."
My response: The biggest risk of all is not to take any. Asian Americans are conservative in that sense.

4) "Where are you from? No, where are you really from?" or "When are you going to go home?" Or "How often do you go home?"
My response: I am from New York. Seriously, I live in the city. Of course, I go home every day.

5) "Oh, you speak English good!" Or "Do you speak your language?"
My response: Thank you. I am proud that I am bilingual.

6) "You're not a minority because all Asians are rich and successful."
My response: Are you saying all non-Asian are poor and unsuccessful?

7) "You're not Asian, you're from India."
This does not apply to me. I am not Indian and I do not look like an Indian. Yet indeed there are a lot of American do not know that India is part of Asia. For more information on the three board regional groups of Asian, read my post Asian American Subgroups.

Here are more if I could add to that…
- "How come your name is not so Asian?"
- "Asian do not like to talk" or "Asian are shy"
- "Koreans are Chinese. All Asians are Chinese."

No comments: